Directions for House Church Worship
Hopefully you’ve had a chance to read the update on how we’re proceeding through this unprecedented pandemic. If you haven’t had a chance, check it out: https://www.newcitycincy.org/coronavirus.
Our hope is to not giving up meeting together, as it says in Hebrews 10, but rather continue meeting as households and in smaller gatherings (10 people or less) that help curtail the potential spread of the virus.
One of the ways we are continuing to meet together is in small groups/house churches. That is, on Sunday morning rather than coming to the church building we’ll gather in homes around our neighborhoods. This could be with your community group, with friends and neighbors on your street, with your family, etc.
If you or a family member are ill and/or feel that it is unwise to host or attend please follow your wisdom and discernment and stay home. We want us all to have opportunities to gather but we also trust your judgment and these are indeed unprecedented times.
For Sunday morning worship we’ve created a liturgy for the use of "house church" groups: https://www.newcitycincy.org/housechurch (this actually works quite well if everyone pulls it up on their phones or tablets).
Here’s how this will work:
- Someone in your group (your choice) will function as the liturgist to keep things going. The liturgy really is as simple as reading along (though do look it over ahead of time and lead with energy and passion).
- There is a welcome explaining a little about the situation and also explaining that we will NOT be having communion during our Sunday house church gatherings.
- There are a few songs to sing. If you are able to play and lead the singing, terrific! You might also sing a cappella. Or there are links to audio files you can use to sing.
- Have a someone read the scripture.
- Play the sermon on a TV / large screen.
- After the sermon there is a time for “Prayers of the People” and some thoughts about “conversational prayer.” End the prayer time with the Lord’s Prayer and sing the Doxology a cappella.
- There are a few announcements and then a benediction.
IMPORTANT REMINDERS TO SHARE WITH YOUR GROUP! PLEASE READ.
The following should be shared with your group when you communicate with them about your gathering.
If you are ill with viral symptoms (i.e. fever, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, etc.), please refrain from coming to our meeting (house church worship or community group). The wise course of action is to stay at home until you are well.
Please wash hands with soap upon arrival in the bathroom/kitchen.
Try to avoid physical contact. Wave, smile, be ready to visit, but we will try to keep space to ourselves.
We will have plenty of chairs and space available for our discussion so people can sit at least 6 feet apart from one another. If you are vulnerable to this virus (if you are over 60 years old, if you have an impaired immune system, or if you have a serious medical conditions such as heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, etc.), please use wisdom in your participation in church gatherings. We hope to see you on Sunday morning, but if you’re unable to join us, know your presence will be missed.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are hosting and make a pot of coffee and/or provide a snack, that’d be great hospitality. However, we highly recommend having a central point of service with a designated person serving to minimize the number of surfaces people are touching. Also, please provide a way for people to mark their cups. These plans should be communicated as well.
Thank you SO MUCH for caring for your group during this time. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact Brian Ferry (email@example.com | 513-289-3630)
More in Blog
April 1, 2020Utilizing the Church Center App!
March 25, 2020Encouragement and Tips from a New City (Homeschooling) Mom
March 25, 2020Encouragement and Tips from a New City Public School Teacher