Lincoln's Thanksgiving Day address
Abraham Lincoln instituted the holiday of Thanksgiving as we know it in 1863. You can read it here.
A couple of observations:
- We need a day of Thanksgiving because the human heart is prone to forget the blessings God has bestowed upon us.
- Lincoln offers this in the midst of the civil war, perhaps our country's darkest time. We don't give thanks less in hard times. In fact, we may even need to call to mind our blessings all the more in the midst of times of trial.
- We must be intentional in looking for God's blessings.
- Lincoln is clear that God is to be praised for the good happening in our lives and in the life of our country. If we think long and hard, we will know that our blessings are not attributable to human work or skill.
- Thanking God for blessings and reaching out to those who are hurting go hand in hand.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.