Getting Ready for Sunday 10/02/11
There is something special about the people of God coming together for worship (Hebrews 10:24-25). Thus, we hope Sundays at New City are a highlight of your week. In an effort to help you get more out of it, we're posting a short preview of this Sunday's gathering.
It's week 4 in our I Am series (click here for past sermons and Study Guides). The teaching will be based on John 1o:1-10 - "The Door." To prepare for worship, read this passage and think about the images Jesus uses to describe his life and mission.
In addition to singing great songs, we'll have a chance to celebrate the Lord's Supper together this week. We'll confess our sins, remind ourselves of the assurance we have in the Gospel, and pray for our church, our city, and the world. Melissa Briner will also be sharing about an upcoming Women's Gathering.
Songs we'll sing include:
- Come and Welcome (listen to a sample) - written during the 1st Great Awakening about the finished work of Christ. It's a song about why we can come into God's presence.
- Kyrie Eleison (listen below) - A very simple song based on the Greek words for "Lord, have mercy." (Matthew 15:22). We're using it this week as a continuation of our confession of sins.
- My Hope is Built on Nothing Less (lyrics) - After confessing sin, there's no other place to run than to the Cross of Christ. "On Christ the Solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand."
- Almighty Comforter (listen below) - a song celebrating the work of the Holy Spirit
- Jesus the Lord My Savior Is (listen) - We'll use this as our communion hymn. "Whate'er I need in Jesus dwells, And there it dwells for me."
- Let Your Kingdom Come (listen to a sample) - Based on a Puritan prayer, this is a song reminding us of God's kingdom and our mission.