Getting Ready for Sunday (12/04/11)
There is something special about the people of God coming together for worship (Hebrews 10:24-25). Thus, we hope Sundays at New City are a highlight of your week. In an effort to help you get more out of it, we're posting a short preview of this Sunday's gathering.
This is the first week in our new series called Songs for Christmas (click here for past sermons and Study Guides). This week we'll look at Zechariah's Song (Luke 1:57-80)
It's the second Sunday in Advent, as well. We'll mark the season with some special readings and prayers, the lighting of Advent candles, and the singing of new and old Christmas carols.
We'll also celebrate the Lord's Supper together this week. Read 1 Corinthians 11:17-32 to prepare your hearts.
Songs we'll sing this week include:
- O Come All Ye Faithful (listen below) - With the shepherds in Luke 2:15, we use the Advent season as an opportunity to come and behold him.
- We Are Listening (listen below) - Not an Christmas carol per se, but on the theme of God sending us his Word in the Person of Jesus (John 1:14).
- My Soul Magnifies the Lord (listen) - Based on Mary's Song in Luke 1:46-55.
- Infant Holy, Infant Lowly (listen below) - Singing the great surprise of all history - "Christ the babe is Lord of all."
- Creator of the Stars of Night (listen below) - A hymn longing for the Creator to come and be with his people. This will be our communion hymn.
- Hark the Herald Angels Sing (listen below) - A classic. Fun to sing, great words to worship with.